Many of our volunteers are based at the local congregations that HOST our families on a week-by-week scheduled (about once every 3 months), but we have MANY ways volunteers can be involved and MAKE a difference.
If you want to offer your skills, heart, and support DIRECTLY to the families in the shelter program, we can give you a simple orientation/training, (pass a background check) and have you on a LIST for help "when needed" at the different congregation locations, when an extra hand may be needed. That type of volunteer would be :
- help cook/bring in a meal for up to 3 families (14 people maximum) and eat with them, and be there as support from 5:30pm to 8:30pm on any given evening.
- come SLEEP overnight at a host site --- being there to support families, and lock up in the morning as everyone departs.
- SATURDAYS there are sometimes 2 to 4 hour shifts that we need a volunteer to, again, just BE THERE as support and reference to our guest families as they go about their day at the site (or as they come and go that day). These hours typically are between 9am and 5:30pm on SATURDAYS.
Other areas for needed volunteers include:
- Join a committee - FUND RAISING (meets monthly), or a specific fund raising event committee.
- Public Relations - HELP get the word out to businesses, local congregations, etc. about our program.
- Grant Writing - are you an experienced grant writer? We'd love your talents to help us with applying for grants.
- Moving furniture - we graduate 10 to 14 families our per year who NEED furnishings in their new home. We get donated items, but can use HELP on the days the families MOVE from our shelter and INTO a home. (Sometimes we get furniture offers and need someone - with a truck) to pick it up for us too.
- Bus drivers - when we have families with vehicle, we need drivers who can drive families from our Day Center to the hosting site from 5pm to 5:30pm in the evening, and from the site to our Day Center in the morning (usually between 7am and 8am) on our 15 passenger bus. Good driving records and drivers license required. This is an "as needed" volunteer opportunity.
- Quarterly ORGANIZER and INVENTORY - volunteer to come in about once every 3 months and help clean-up and organize our on-site storage area (that we keep clothing, small household items, and misc. for the families in.)
We are looking currently to EXPAND our Board of Directors - we are looking for passionate people who want to make a difference in the lives of local kids, and can advocate for funding for this agency.
Email Network Manager, Wendy Fitton, at SrqFamilyPromise@aol.com if you'd like more info.